Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Foodie

I began to blog and had several post in mind, then I suddenly realized they were all food post!!  In an attempt to appear less addicted to baking, I have included them all in one post rather than three.  In the mean time I am coming to grips with the fact that I may be a "foodie".  I blame Pinterest. 

Today was my last day of a very extended summer workshop, I may or may not have done a cart-wheel when is was over this afternoon.  Tomorrow morning my summer vacation officially begins!  

I made these precious treats for my teacher group as a fun gift today, it was super easy!

All you'll need are apples, carmel dip, Health bars and some crafty paper skills.

 I found these cute mini-mason jars at Hobby Lobby.  I filled them with carmel dip and chopped Heath bar to top them off. 


 I cut out a small circle from gingham scrapbook paper for some added flare. 

 Place the mason jar in a clear bag and then place the apple on the jar.

 I printed off these cute labels "an apple for the teacher", then glued them on the red circle cutouts.  Tied them with some polka-dot ribbon and all finished!  Super cute and even easier, everyone loved these!



Another recipe----

 Freshly Squeezed Lemon Bars

Here is a simple and delicious recipe for lemon bars (and they're low calorie!)
Makes 36 bars - 150 calories, 6g fat

Step 1 - Prepare the crust
Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. grated lemon peel


Step 2 - Prepare the filling
Filling:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon peel


Step 3 - Lemonly Glaze
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 teaspoons lemon juice
Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.

After the bars are completely cooled, top with glaze and store in refrigerator.  Cut into to squares then serve!




And finally, the other food related post -

A few weeks ago Emily and I visited the Viking Cooking School for a fun night.  This is one of my favorite places to visit, always fun with friends and meeting new friends too! 

 The flower arrangement was BEAUTIFUL!  I wanted to take a course in floral arrangements but settled for the cooking class instead!

 The menu was a light and healthy menu, the dishes were delicious and the recipes were easy to prepare.  One of my favorites was this black bean soup.

 We also made this beautiful orange-avocado salsa, saffron rice pilaf and grilled Alaskan halibut.  It was all wonderful.  And I know, everyone reading this is thinking "Kelly does not eat fish", you are 100% correct.  But I did try the fish and it wasn't too "fishy" and actually was pretty good, but my stance on fish dishes remains the same, "I'm allergic". 

We also enjoyed pomegranate sorbet, it was so colorful and tasty that I ate it too quickly to snap a photo!

2 comments:

  1. Kelly! Those apple treats are SOOOOOO cute! Happy summer! Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy summer to you!!! Keep posting your delicious recipes! I love to see what you're whipping up in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete